The #ReimagineFORUM @ Discipleship.Network

Equipping Your Reimagine Journey

I am a leaader in a small international church in the Netherlands, we have a very diverse group of people attending in a very diverse community that attracks many international students and expat business people.

We are looking for the best Investigative Bible Study or seeker study video series for use at our church.  We had used the Alpha Course due to its sheer name recognition here in Western Europe.  We moved away from it this year to a similary series called " Christianity Explored".  They both have their pros and cons.  But the one thing the both share that we are finding a bit problematic is that they are done in very British English and at times the accents are difficult for some of our English as a Second Language participants.

Are there other series like these in American English or Basic English that might work better to ESL participants?  Have others found great material to answer basic questions of seekers?

Thanks in advance.

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TIm, maybe a different tack would work. What is the "voice" of your "customer" telling you? Why do you think your neighbor, friends, strangers would be interested in attending your gathering? YOU have a goal and outcome YOU want to accomplish. What is THEIRS? Understanding what they are looking for (even if that is NOT the ultimate goal) may help decide how to present the Gospel and how to bring them to your gathering.
Remember, it is ultimately up to the Holy Spirit. ANY approach CAN work if it is Bible-based, Spirit-led, and Christ-centered. To quote Rick Warren (something I don't do very often...), it is NOT about you. :-) Tim Plona said:
Ann,

The I in IBS for me meant Investigative not Inductive. I am very familiar with the Navigator material. It helped make me who I am today. I did the DFDs as young Chrisitan 25 years ago at college. I lovedd it. But I am looking to get someone to Christ first, then hit them with something like DFDs.

Thanks for offering help.

Tim

Ann H. LeFevre said:
You might want to look into some of the Navigator's materials, or Youth With a Mission (YWAM). I'm not sure if they publish anything that is specific to Inductive Bible Study, but they are both organizations that have a thrust in global missions and evangelism, so their materials may be more suited to your needs. As far as Inductive Bible Study materials go, Kay Arthur and Precept Upon Precept Ministries has been a leader in that area for decades. She has studies that are sold both in bookstores/on-line as well as studies that are just sold through the ministry.

As far as the Truth Project goes, it is great, but I don't think it's what you're looking for and it is definitely geared towards US audiences rather than international. I just checked my bookshelf, and I think you will find what you're looking for in the Navigator's materials. The one I've used in the past is called Design for Discipleship. The first book in the series is called Your Life in Christ. It has 4 lessons laid out in an inductive study format. You could work on the answers together, or work on them individually and share your answers in your meeting. There are other books in the series, all set up the same way, giving you the option of as many weeks as you want. Of course, I am assuming that you are working with materials written in English. I'm not sure if these books have been translated into other languages.

I hope this might be helpful. God bless.
I seldom use materials now because few know their Bible and need to learn how to fish rather than giving them a fish. Initially, I spend time on the basic doctrines of the faith and then move to lessons on how to interpret scripture, then a survey of the OT and then the NT. Finally, I teach them how to do Bible study on their own using some tools they can use. This happens over about a two year period. Recently because I have noticed that few in the church know how to give and receive correction we are developing some studies in areas that are necessary to build character.
You might also look at what Chuck Colson has done with The Faith. I think he has some videos. It may be more doctrine than you are looking for, but no one else had mentioned it.

Larry Dodge
Try Global University's Evangelism and Discipleship material

www.globaluniversity.edu

More specifically the videos with the Great Questions of Life Series

www.greatquestions.org

There are many resources available for different levels and medias.
You might consider "Simply Christianity" a 5 session course through the book of Luke put out by Matthias Media. It could be easily led in a home group setting by someone comfortable with the gospel.

You've hit on a big need!  I work with teens, many from high poverty homes and non-English speaking homes so their vocabulary level is very low.  It is difficult to find a seekers curriculum.  I personally have resorted more to having them do paper/pencil studies rather than video series.  I took Firm Foundations and condensed it down to 10 lessons with them doing the digging.  If you have the time for it, you might find The Hope Project helpful.

http://www.thehopeproject.com/

They also have study guides available in the resources section at: http://www.thehopeproject.com/resources.php

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Wisdom

Posted by Mary Elizabeth Whitlow on October 10, 2011 at 9:49pm — 1 Comment

Peter Pan and Adam Sandler Christians

Posted by Michael Mack on November 24, 2010 at 9:27pm — 7 Comments

Equip them into the PRAYER-CARE-SHARE LIFE

Disciples of Jesus

Who Make disciples