Discipleship.Network

Being & Building Followers & Friends of Jesus

I would like your opinion, verses, comments etc.. on anger.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The word anger is neutral-it simply refers to a disposition of the mind. A person can have a good anger or bad anger. If our anger gets the best of us, we can lose control of what we say and do. (James 1:19-20; Ephesians 4:26; Philippians 2:3; Matthew 5:38-39; Romans 12:17-19; 1 Peter 2:20-23; 1 Corinthians 13:4-5; 1Thessalonians 5:14).
Let us control our anger rather than anger controlling us.
One of the aspects of the fruit of the Spirit is longsuffering. So let us wholly depend on the Holy Spirit and work in unison with the Spirit to produce this fruit in us.
In my 12 Step program there is an acronym used that highlights WHEN we are most vulnerable to our addictions - HALT; i.e when we are H-Hungry, A - Angry, L- Lonely, and T - Tired. I find pride, self, and guilt as equal "conspirators" in unleashing my anger. The old saying that the best defense is a good offense applies. Anger is many times merely a deflection, defensive, distracting technique. Saturating myself with the Word, prayer, and fellowship with other believers have been the most effective responses.
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Linnins said:
In my 12 Step program there is an acronym used that highlights WHEN we are most vulnerable to our addictions - HALT; i.e when we are H-Hungry, A - Angry, L- Lonely, and T - Tired. I find pride, self, and guilt as equal "conspirators" in unleashing my anger. The old saying that the best defense is a good offense applies. Anger is many times merely a deflection, defensive, distracting technique. Saturating myself with the Word, prayer, and fellowship with other believers have been the most effective responses.
I really like James 1[19] Know this, my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, [20] for the anger of man does not work the righteousness of God.

Psa 37 says, 'Refrain from anger and forsake wrath...'

Eph 4:[31] Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, [32] and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

These three verses all strongly suggest that anger is a choice that make. Choices made repeatedly leads to habits which leads to the formation of character. Like so many of the negative character traits, the first step for me is to recognize the problem. The Holy Spirit, usually using another brother or sister in Christ will point out the 'problem' to me. This is followed by a search of the Scriptures trying to answer the question, "What does God say or think about this." This leads to step three, memorizing several key verses on the topic. Step four (and 1,2 and 3 and all the other steps) is crying out to God to change my heart. It is inviting the Holy Spirit to 'ring the inner bells in my head' whenever I violate the commands or 'cross the line'. This leads to step 5: repenting of my actions/ words/ and attitudes. Step 6 is crying out and asking the Holy Spirit to remind you of the verses BEFORE acting out; to act as a 'governor' on your behavior. This is the Psa 119:11 in action: "I have laid up Thy word in my heart that I might not sin against Thee.
I have found these steps invaluable in trying to correct and or change behavior. It is also the steps for true transformation. Eph 4:22-24, "Put of the old nature (anger, lust, etc) which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful lusts and be renewed in the spirit of your mind. Put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
The verse that has 'pulled me up short' and used and the primary preventative, transformational verse is James 1, "The anger of man does NOT WORK the righteous of God." It has stopped me many times from mouthing off and venting.
I have found that a couple of the most insightful concepts on anger that I have discovered are found in the life of David. Hunted, living in caves, probably all of the HALT issues bearing down at once, yet he would not let his anger take control of his actions. Also, I have found that perhaps in our culture we are less apt to pray the imprecatory psalms, the result being that we are unable to take our anger to God and leave it with Him, so we go around carrying all of the anger that eventually leaks out in a sinful way. Thanks for the thread.
Great Insight Nick!!! - It never occurred to me to look at the life of David as far as anger.

Thanks - Have a blessed Thanksgiving Everyone.

NICK RINGGER said:
I have found that a couple of the most insightful concepts on anger that I have discovered are found in the life of David. Hunted, living in caves, probably all of the HALT issues bearing down at once, yet he would not let his anger take control of his actions. Also, I have found that perhaps in our culture we are less apt to pray the imprecatory psalms, the result being that we are unable to take our anger to God and leave it with Him, so we go around carrying all of the anger that eventually leaks out in a sinful way. Thanks for the thread.

While some anger may be justified most often it is a response born out of our pride.  An accusation or perceived injury provokes us to lash out in anger.  A James 1:19 gut-check can help if we can take a moment before we respond.  Quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. 

It's a principle that can save relationships and prevent you from compromising your witness.

QTL

STS

STA 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 9:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 1:30pm — 15 Comments