The #ReimagineFORUM @ Discipleship.Network

Equipping Your Reimagine Journey

I have an appreciate for differences in worship styles and I've always been bothered by the "Worship Wars" that too often occur in the Church.  I think of the early church and of persecuted churches and realize that they probably weren't standing around arguing about instruments or the type of music that would be sung.  But I wonder if they ever had the problem of some of the music distracting them from worship rather than drawing them to worship.

I have attended very large churches with the latest and greatest technological gadgets, giant screens, and contemporary music.  But I found myself walking away from church week after week feeling like I'd been at Christian concert or a sports event rather than a time of drawing closer to God.  When things are so loud, I find myself stressed & irritated and not able to enter a spirit of worship.  I've looked around me and see people dancing, clapping, and sometimes whistling and all I want is some quiet so that I can hear God and I can respond in my own way to what I've heard.   So what do you do if your "worship language" is different than the one that your church speaks?

Views: 149

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I would challenge you to look at what true worship is in the New Testament. The worship that is pleasing to God is the true worship language, he set an order that is most pleasing to Him. This is the language that is pleasing to God and encouraging to us! : ) truth should lead our emotions, not our emotion should lead us to the truth

Look at:
John 4:24
Eph. 5:19
Col. 3:16
I am not unfamiliar with these passages and this is exactly what I desire to do when I enter the house of God and in my own private time with God. However, as another pointed out, whether we like it or not, the atmostphere that we walk into can either prepare the way for worship or get in the way of worship.

Samantha Sager said:
I would challenge you to look at what true worship is in the New Testament. The worship that is pleasing to God is the true worship language, he set an order that is most pleasing to Him. This is the language that is pleasing to God and encouraging to us! : ) truth should lead our emotions, not our emotion should lead us to the truth

Look at:
John 4:24
Eph. 5:19
Col. 3:16
I wonder if maybe we all try to bring "praise" and "worship" together as the same term. They are at times synonymous, and other times they are not.

In many instances in the OT and NT we find people expressing themselves in praise or worship depending on the given circumstance of the moment. There are passages that command us to worship/praise our Lord.

For the most part, these expressions of worship and praise are an action by the worshiper to the worshipee because of some sort of confrontation/visitation, or personal experience if you will.

Samantha has shown us in John4, Eph5, and Col3 these are commands. Many other passages are commands as well, and these speak of our relationship with the Lord as expressions that should be a given, something that is part of us without thinking about it.

Like what we learn in the Sermon on the Mount, "you are the salt", not you must become the salt, or you should be the salt - you are the salt. This is a given.

Praise/Worship to our Lord should be as such ...a given ...without provocation of any kind.

Our lives are to be Worship to Him.
Jenni,
I see now what your saying and it is very unfortunate that "whether we like it or not, the atmostphere that we walk into can either prepare the way for worship or get in the way of worship. " and it is hard to know what to do about situations such as these.
Ask God to help you to hear His Voice down inside of you and what He has to say to you. That way, outside distractions won't affect you.

I don't believe leaving a church is a good idea try to get envolved in your church. Remember the pstor is there for God not you. You are there for God praise Him always Read your bible daily and it won't seen like church is so short.
George Krickl said:
Good question and I do not have an answer. I do not like our 15 minutes of worship we get at my church. too many services and not an emphasis on worship. It takes me 15 minutes to get warmed up!

I have left two churches because I could not get into worship there so that has been my answer for me, but I would like to hear what others have to say about it.
I believe that worship music is the one thing that we have done to well in the church today. Dont get me wrong I enjoy christian music probably more than most people. But when you step into a church and it seems more like a rock concert than a time to worship God there is a problem. I believe our music has become the god of some people in the church. They base their whole opinion of a church on the music that is being played. I used to be one of them. We need to concentrate more on our doctrine being taught, not so much on music. Worship is not based on our experience it's about God. We can worship just by reading Gods Word and praying which is part of it.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 10:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 2:30pm — 16 Comments

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God

&