Discipleship.Network

Being & Building Followers & Friends of Jesus

The crisis at the heart of the church is that we talk about making disciples, but we seldom do it.

Making disciples is not just for pastors, ministers, or super Christians. Making disciples is the responsibility, privilege and great joy intended for every Christ-follower within the body of Christ.

The only hope for taking Jesus' message to all people is in believers' multiplying their labors by training disciples to continue and expand the work. If we are going to see believers around the world reflect Jesus' values, we need to get back to serious biblical discipleship.

What is your plan for discipleship in 2011? Will you commit to discipling just one person in 2011?

May God grant that we obey His mandate to make disciples.

Doug Morrell

CoreDiscipleship.com

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will continue on the current track that the Lord has opened before me.  This year we have seen now over 5 generations of disciples made and many churches being planted.  Not to be pragmatic or brag, we are in a place, I am sure, where the Lord wants us and will continue to use us.  

For me, and maybe for some of you committing to make just one disciple is undercutting what the Lord wants to do through you.  

Ask the Lord for wisdom.  Pray for the wisdom on how to accomplish the goals the Lord sets for you.  Rely on God's strength to help you.  Find a person you can be encouraged by and encourage and be accountable to.  Don't become discouraged by setbacks, press onward and inward into Christ.  Don't become proud of your accomplishments, give the Lord the Glory which He is due.

Miguel

Making Disciples on Facebook

I've begun to ask women I encounter, who is discipling you and who are you discipling? This gets them thinking they ought to be about discipling and being discipled. I know when someone asked me, it made me think more intentionally.

I intend to be more intentional about meeting with my discipling partners.

My Bible Talk is meeting together the first week of January to realign our Discipling partners (choosing 3 couples per group)...intentionally switching things up and inviting a new couple in so that we get some fresh perspective.

Our ministry makes it a point to incorporate discipling others into our everyday interactions, but lately I have noticed that I hold back for fear of being offensive. However, I have come to realize that perhaps I am being a conflict avoider and unloving and, more importantly, disobedient to the spirit by doing this. While it is imperative that I do not become judgmental and continually pray for discernment...I can't be silent and be Godly.

It is also very important that I be completely vulnerable with my discipling partners. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...especially me. I need to be a lot more willing to share my sinful thoughts and attitudes. If I want to truly grow, I need to address my sinfulness immediately.

Tanith

Miguel - great encouragement! Would it not be incredible if each and every believer simply followed our Lord Jesus' mandate to "make disciples"? Full throttle my brother! -doug

Miguel Labrador said:

I will continue on the current track that the Lord has opened before me.  This year we have seen now over 5 generations of disciples made and many churches being planted.  Not to be pragmatic or brag, we are in a place, I am sure, where the Lord wants us and will continue to use us.  

For me, and maybe for some of you committing to make just one disciple is undercutting what the Lord wants to do through you.  

Ask the Lord for wisdom.  Pray for the wisdom on how to accomplish the goals the Lord sets for you.  Rely on God's strength to help you.  Find a person you can be encouraged by and encourage and be accountable to.  Don't become discouraged by setbacks, press onward and inward into Christ.  Don't become proud of your accomplishments, give the Lord the Glory which He is due.

Miguel

Making Disciples on Facebook

Kathie - that really is a great question. I've seen individuals and churches with more than 20,000 members arrested in the moment by those questions. Blessings! -doug

kathie fleming said:
I've begun to ask women I encounter, who is discipling you and who are you discipling? This gets them thinking they ought to be about discipling and being discipled. I know when someone asked me, it made me think more intentionally.
Tanith - being transparent and vulnerable are key ingredients of leadership. God bless you mightily as you purpose to know Jesus and make Him known. -doug

Tanith Moore said:

I intend to be more intentional about meeting with my discipling partners.

My Bible Talk is meeting together the first week of January to realign our Discipling partners (choosing 3 couples per group)...intentionally switching things up and inviting a new couple in so that we get some fresh perspective.

Our ministry makes it a point to incorporate discipling others into our everyday interactions, but lately I have noticed that I hold back for fear of being offensive. However, I have come to realize that perhaps I am being a conflict avoider and unloving and, more importantly, disobedient to the spirit by doing this. While it is imperative that I do not become judgmental and continually pray for discernment...I can't be silent and be Godly.

It is also very important that I be completely vulnerable with my discipling partners. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...especially me. I need to be a lot more willing to share my sinful thoughts and attitudes. If I want to truly grow, I need to address my sinfulness immediately.

Tanith

I'm discipling one-on-one with a young mom this year.  We meet every Friday over coffee.  I think I learn as much from her as she does from me.  LOL!  And she comes up with some very challenging questions, at times.
Sounds Biblically foundational to me! Good stuff! No Retreats, No Reserves, No Regrets!

Dave Nickerson said:
My discipling plan is to engage with those in my sphere of influence, telling those who don't know Jesus about Him, living the life of Jesus before those I tell and those disinterested, and meeting with those who want to know more. I currently meet with 8 guys, two of whom are meeting with others and one who has recently met a guy who works within his area who is wanting to know more.

Hello Doug,

I agree each believer is responsible for discipling others, whether it is 'officially' within the Church, in their workplace, or in the community.

In my case, it is street ministry, begun shortly after I completely surrendered to God some years ago, and often criticised by other believers because I have no Church officially backing the ministry, it is God alone who supports this ministry.  I learnt long ago that  my life reflecting my Faith is the most effective way to reach others, and encourage those whom God has raised from amongst the street folk themselves, to do likewise.  There is absolutely no point at all in spreading the word of God verbally, if my choice of lifestyle doesn't agree with my words.

We have formed study groups, not just the Bible but also literacy and first aid...often people come to us for the nightly literacy meetings and then come to know God as their Holy Father through that.  So far God has helped us to establish a first aid centre (headed by an ex veteran who worked in the medical corps), and the street folk themselves bring their friends and those new to the streets to the classes.  Each December we have a month of Chris tmas celebrations, enabled completely by God's providence where I hand out certificates of participation to those who had been attending the courses.  God has also seen to it, by ensuring that I receive scholarships to study online, that I am able to adequately disciple to those He has raised as leaders. 

How did this ministry begin?  Well it was birthed when I was reading the Bible whilst I was seeking refuge on the streets.  Two men approached me, and one asked me what I was reading...I told him, and he asked if he could have a Bible too.  The next night I brought him one, only to discover why his friend had scoffed the night before, the man grabbed the Bible, opened it and began 'reading', but he was holding it upside down.  I offered to teach him to read, then when his friend realised that I wasn't a threat to their friendship, he too asked if he could have a Bible, and then asked me how to know what it meant.  I began teaching them the Bethel Bible Overview (I had recently completed my teacher's diploma for that study), and the rest is history.  Their friends, noticing the changes the Lord was making in them, asked about joining the literacy courses first, and then many continued into Bible study, and so the ministry has blossomed to include many who had previously shunned any contact with welfare workers etc...

God bless you all as you take up the ministry God has waiting for you in the coming years. 

My plan continues with ME. Following thoughts are in my computer Bible Notes. I, with God's guidance and help, am still working on understanding ME. I think I am better, but still working on it. 

John 13:37

WHY CANNOT I FOLLOW THEE NOW?

Peter said unto Him, Lord, why cannot I follow Thee now?

John 13:37

There are times when you cannot understand why you cannot do what you

want to do. When God brings the blank space, see that you do not fill

it in, but wait. The blank space may come in order to teach you what

sanctification means, or it may come after sanctification to teach

you what service means. Never run before God's guidance. If there is

the slightest doubt, then He is not guiding. Whenever there is doubt

- don't.

In the beginning you may see clearly what God's will is - the

severance of a friendship, the breaking off of a business

relationship, something you feel distinctly before God is His will

for you to do, never do it on the impulse of that feeling. If you do,

you will end in making difficulties that will take years of time to

put right. Wait for God's time to bring it round and He will do it

without any heartbreak or disappointment. When it is a question of

the providential will of God, wait for God to move.

Peter did not wait on God, he forecast in his mind where the test

would come, and the test came where he did not expect it. "I will lay

down my life for Thy sake." Peter's declaration was honest but

ignorant. "Jesus answered him ...The cock shall not crow, till thou

hast denied Me thrice." This was said with a deeper knowledge of

Peter than Peter had of himself. He could not follow Jesus because he

did not know himself, of what he was capable. Natural devotion may be

all very well to attract us to Jesus, to make us feel His

fascination, but it will never make us disciples. Natural devotion

will always deny Jesus somewhere or other.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Philip L. Hilliard - Who Am I?

Posted by Philip Hilliard on October 15, 2019 at 10:23am

Paul, disciple and discipler par excellence

Posted by Jean-Claude Chevalme on October 13, 2019 at 12:29pm

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God