Discipleship.Network

Being & Building Followers & Friends of Jesus

I'm so thankful for the memorization that I did when I was younger.  Though my desire to memorize Scripture today is still strong, my memory is not.   My short-term memory is horrible.  Does anyone have any strategies for Scripture Memory with those of us who have memory problems?

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Change it to a song, change it to a dramatic interpretation, put word pictures to the text, be creative.
Sorry,my memory is equally bad. Look forward to get some good ideas!
T.Leigre.Norway
Interesting question. I teach a group of senior adults each Wednesday. I'm going to ask them and I'll let you know what they say.
I understand and my sympathies are with you. When I was younger I had a phenomenal memory. I could remember addresses, phone numbers, grocery lists, Bible verses, etc. Now, not so much. The best advice I can give is Review - Review - Review.

I memorize using the Navigator way that I learned in my teens by either purchasing the set of verse cards or creating my own.

Use and stick with one translation. Years ago I learned all my Bible verses using the King James. Now I am using the NASB to memorize, however, the old thees and thous keep popping up.

Another help available from NavPress and Navigators is a little program that you can install on your computer where the Bible verses will pop up on your computer screen to help memorize scripture. I have this program installed on my work computer, my home desktop, and my laptop.

Also, if you have an iPhone this same software is available. There is an App for that. :)

Personally, I use all three methods. I keep the written verses in my shirt pocket and review them whenever time provides (and I remember). When sitting at my computer, the software is there to assist and at other times I use the software app on my iPhone.

Get a partner to review the verses with. Mostly with me it is my wife but I also work at it with my accountability partner and mentor. Also, I pray the verses during my quiet times.

There four systems are working for me, however, I find that I still have to Review - Review - Review.

God Bless
The computer programs and iphone app sound good. Can you give us a link for them?

Darrell L Howard said:
I understand and my sympathies are with you. When I was younger I had a phenomenal memory. I could remember addresses, phone numbers, grocery lists, Bible verses, etc. Now, not so much. The best advice I can give is Review - Review - Review.

I memorize using the Navigator way that learned in my teens by either purchasing the set of verse cards or creating my own.

Use and stick with one translation. Years ago I learned all my Bible verses using the King James. Now I am using the NASB to memorize, however, the old thees and thous keep popping up.

Another help available from NavPress and Navigators is a little program that you can install on your computer where the Bible verses will pop up on your computer screen to help memorize scripture. I have this program installed on my work computer, my home desktop, and my laptop.

Also, if you have an iPhone this same software is available. There is an App for that. :)

Personally, I use all three methods. I keep the written verses in my shirt pocket and review them whenever time provides (and I remember). When sitting at my computer, the software is there to assist and at other times I use the software app on my iPhone.

Get a partner to review the verses with. Mostly with me it is my wife but I also work at it with my accountability partner and mentor. Also, I pray the verses during my quiet times.

There four systems are working for me, however, I find that I still have to Review - Review - Review.

God Bless
Margie, did you have a chance to ask your seniors group about this?

Margie Williamson said:
Interesting question. I teach a group of senior adults each Wednesday. I'm going to ask them and I'll let you know what they say.
iPhone app http://www.navpress.com/tmsapp
Desktop http://www.navpress.com/product/9781600069222/Topical-Memory-System...

Jenni Biegler said:
The computer programs and iphone app sound good. Can you give us a link for them?

Darrell L Howard said:
I understand and my sympathies are with you. When I was younger I had a phenomenal memory. I could remember addresses, phone numbers, grocery lists, Bible verses, etc. Now, not so much. The best advice I can give is Review - Review - Review.

I memorize using the Navigator way that learned in my teens by either purchasing the set of verse cards or creating my own.

Use and stick with one translation. Years ago I learned all my Bible verses using the King James. Now I am using the NASB to memorize, however, the old thees and thous keep popping up.

Another help available from NavPress and Navigators is a little program that you can install on your computer where the Bible verses will pop up on your computer screen to help memorize scripture. I have this program installed on my work computer, my home desktop, and my laptop.

Also, if you have an iPhone this same software is available. There is an App for that. :)

Personally, I use all three methods. I keep the written verses in my shirt pocket and review them whenever time provides (and I remember). When sitting at my computer, the software is there to assist and at other times I use the software app on my iPhone.

Get a partner to review the verses with. Mostly with me it is my wife but I also work at it with my accountability partner and mentor. Also, I pray the verses during my quiet times.

There four systems are working for me, however, I find that I still have to Review - Review - Review.

God Bless
Having become a believer 8 years ago at age 50, I didn't have the opportunity to learn any scripture at a younger age when my memory was better. Last year I joined the choir at my church. We have to memorize our songs (no hymnals or words on the screens for us!) using CD recordings which I listen to over and over again in the car and/or on my MP3 player when I go for walks. I've heard that there are scripture songs that you can purchase. Maybe this could help you. I've been meaning to look into it, but I'm so busy memorizing my choir songs I haven't had time for much else!
Thanks so much for the links, the computer app is great it will get used a lot.


Darrell L Howard said:
iPhone app http://www.navpress.com/tmsapp
Desktop http://www.navpress.com/product/9781600069222/Topical-Memory-System...

Jenni Biegler said:
The computer programs and iphone app sound good. Can you give us a link for them?

Darrell L Howard said:
I understand and my sympathies are with you. When I was younger I had a phenomenal memory. I could remember addresses, phone numbers, grocery lists, Bible verses, etc. Now, not so much. The best advice I can give is Review - Review - Review.

I memorize using the Navigator way that learned in my teens by either purchasing the set of verse cards or creating my own.

Use and stick with one translation. Years ago I learned all my Bible verses using the King James. Now I am using the NASB to memorize, however, the old thees and thous keep popping up.

Another help available from NavPress and Navigators is a little program that you can install on your computer where the Bible verses will pop up on your computer screen to help memorize scripture. I have this program installed on my work computer, my home desktop, and my laptop.

Also, if you have an iPhone this same software is available. There is an App for that. :)

Personally, I use all three methods. I keep the written verses in my shirt pocket and review them whenever time provides (and I remember). When sitting at my computer, the software is there to assist and at other times I use the software app on my iPhone.

Get a partner to review the verses with. Mostly with me it is my wife but I also work at it with my accountability partner and mentor. Also, I pray the verses during my quiet times.

There four systems are working for me, however, I find that I still have to Review - Review - Review.

God Bless
Thanks Darrell for those great suggestions. I struggle with memorization. I have decided to do only one or two verses a week and work on that until I have them down. Hopefully this will work for me.br /> br/>

Darrell L Howard said:
I understand and my sympathies are with you. When I was younger I had a phenomenal memory. I could remember addresses, phone numbers, grocery lists, Bible verses, etc. Now, not so much. The best advice I can give is Review - Review - Review.

I memorize using the Navigator way that I learned in my teens by either purchasing the set of verse cards or creating my own.

Use and stick with one translation. Years ago I learned all my Bible verses using the King James. Now I am using the NASB to memorize, however, the old thees and thous keep popping up.

Another help available from NavPress and Navigators is a little program that you can install on your computer where the Bible verses will pop up on your computer screen to help memorize scripture. I have this program installed on my work computer, my home desktop, and my laptop.

Also, if you have an iPhone this same software is available. There is an App for that. :)

Personally, I use all three methods. I keep the written verses in my shirt pocket and review them whenever time provides (and I remember). When sitting at my computer, the software is there to assist and at other times I use the software app on my iPhone.

Get a partner to review the verses with. Mostly with me it is my wife but I also work at it with my accountability partner and mentor. Also, I pray the verses during my quiet times.

There four systems are working for me, however, I find that I still have to Review - Review - Review.

God Bless
One of the ways that helps children and works for me is to write the verses out in pencil or on a whiteboard. Read it through a few times. Then erase one word and put an underline where that word was. Read it through inserting the word you erased. Erase a second word placing an underline where it was. Read it through. Continue that process until you only have underlines and can say the verse.
Integritymusic.com has a whole collection of scripture memory songs that I have grown up listening to. They are great! 

Sandie C said:
Having become a believer 8 years ago at age 50, I didn't have the opportunity to learn any scripture at a younger age when my memory was better. Last year I joined the choir at my church. We have to memorize our songs (no hymnals or words on the screens for us!) using CD recordings which I listen to over and over again in the car and/or on my MP3 player when I go for walks. I've heard that there are scripture songs that you can purchase. Maybe this could help you. I've been meaning to look into it, but I'm so busy memorizing my choir songs I haven't had time for much else!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Blog Posts

What Matters Most to God in a Disciple (Part 11)

Posted by Skip Garmo on December 1, 2018 at 11:45am

Is Discipleship Possible in the Age of Twitter?

Posted by Jim Buchan on November 26, 2018 at 5:04pm

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God

&

Love Neighbors >>>

© 2018   Created by Network Creator / Coordinator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service