Discipleship.Network

Being & Building Followers & Friends of Jesus

I'm so thankful for the memorization that I did when I was younger.  Though my desire to memorize Scripture today is still strong, my memory is not.   My short-term memory is horrible.  Does anyone have any strategies for Scripture Memory with those of us who have memory problems?

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Integritymusic.com has a whole collection of scripture memory songs that I have grown up listening to. They are great! 

Sandie C said:
Having become a believer 8 years ago at age 50, I didn't have the opportunity to learn any scripture at a younger age when my memory was better. Last year I joined the choir at my church. We have to memorize our songs (no hymnals or words on the screens for us!) using CD recordings which I listen to over and over again in the car and/or on my MP3 player when I go for walks. I've heard that there are scripture songs that you can purchase. Maybe this could help you. I've been meaning to look into it, but I'm so busy memorizing my choir songs I haven't had time for much else!
I like to use coffee mugs w/ scriptures - they give me a bit of visual assistance. Every time I reach for a cup in the cabinet, I try to quote it first. :) Also, plaques and pictures around the house provide gentle reminders of my favorites.

Margie Williamson said:
Interesting question. I teach a group of senior adults each Wednesday. I'm going to ask them and I'll let you know what they say.
I just realized how bad my own memory is. I forgot to ask them. I'll try again on Wednesday. Ouch.

Jenni Biegler said:
Margie, did you have a chance to ask your seniors group about this?

Margie Williamson said:
Interesting question. I teach a group of senior adults each Wednesday. I'm going to ask them and I'll let you know what they say.
When I teach children I write out the verse than as they erase one word at a time I draw a line where the word was and then when they repeat the verse each time I say nothing when we come to the blank and have them say the missing word where the blank is. It is amazing how much that helps me.
I use gestures/motions to help me memorise Scripture passages. Repetition of phrases aloud also helps. And - as mentioned already - frequent reviewing is essential.
I work with Bible Drill in a Baptist church and we have available some CDs for children with Scripture songs to help with memory. These are put out by Lifeway.

When I memorize I try to break down the verse into smaller phrases that seem more manageable. Then I focus on conneting words and sometimes I will look at the number of words that begin with a "t" for instance or whatever letter is reoccuring to help me remember all those words.

I also have tried to find a tune or melody within the words of the verse that help me to work with the verse until I can remember it as a personal song. This is what I was doing on my own before I started working with Bible Drill. By the time you work with the verse long enough to create a song out of it, you have the verse memorized.
There are number of strategies you can use including composing a song from a verse or passage. The other can be recording oneself as you read a verse or passage from the bible by ipod or phone or any voice recorder device and play and hearing it.
I lead a weekly worship service and an interactive Bible study in an assisted living center and am always looking for ways to help God's Word be fresh in the residents' minds. Many believe in Christ but even today in Bible study we were studying Philippians 3:1 and 4:4 and dealing with how to live a lifestyle of rejoicing in their context. In their words "99.5% of the residents are depressed because they live in the context of people who are half living and half dying and they wonder who will die next. " It's a privilege to bring the hope of the Lord and the joy of the Lord each week, to sing the old hymns, to hug each resident each time and to help them grow in the Word. But this memory issue for Scripture is really hard for them. Dr. M.L. Codman-Wilson
I currently work at a Continuing Care Retirement Facility so I know exactly what you are talking about. I like that focus of helping them rejoice in the context of where they are currently living.

Dr. M.L Codman-Wilson said:
I lead a weekly worship service and an interactive Bible study in an assisted living center and am always looking for ways to help God's Word be fresh in the residents' minds. Many believe in Christ but even today in Bible study we were studying Philippians 3:1 and 4:4 and dealing with how to live a lifestyle of rejoicing in their context. In their words "99.5% of the residents are depressed because they live in the context of people who are half living and half dying and they wonder who will die next. " It's a privilege to bring the hope of the Lord and the joy of the Lord each week, to sing the old hymns, to hug each resident each time and to help them grow in the Word. But this memory issue for Scripture is really hard for them. Dr. M.L. Codman-Wilson
I love one of the last scenes in the movie, "The Book of Eli" where the Braille book was taken away from him but in the end it didn't matter because he had memorized the whole Bible. Makes you think...if our Bibles were taken from us, how much of Scripture would we have stored within us?
I went to the Integrity Music site and searched for scripture memory songs but could not find anything. Could you send a link to these songs or tell us how to find them on their website?
Thanks!
Irene

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 9:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 1:30pm — 15 Comments

Make disciples