Discipleship.Network

Being & Building Followers & Friends of Jesus

I'm so thankful for the memorization that I did when I was younger.  Though my desire to memorize Scripture today is still strong, my memory is not.   My short-term memory is horrible.  Does anyone have any strategies for Scripture Memory with those of us who have memory problems?

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They may not have them any more, it's been years since I've seen them in the bookstores. Consider doing a search on e-Bay, some of the CDs might be there

Irene Tomchik said:
I went to the Integrity Music site and searched for scripture memory songs but could not find anything. Could you send a link to these songs or tell us how to find them on their website?
Thanks!
Irene

I have the cassettes :).  I wonder if they might be available through itunes.

Darcy J. Knight said:

They may not have them any more, it's been years since I've seen them in the bookstores. Consider doing a search on e-Bay, some of the CDs might be there

Irene Tomchik said:
I went to the Integrity Music site and searched for scripture memory songs but could not find anything. Could you send a link to these songs or tell us how to find them on their website?
Thanks!
Irene

Recently I was approached by an elderly lady asking me to disciple her. She informed me she had short term memory loss. After our first meeting she told me she was not able to memorize scripture as her doctor said she couldn't do it. Then she said she was not going to continue...maybe later. I really believe she is stumbling over scripture memory. I told her we could massage it. That makes me very sad. I appreciate the ideas as that is encouraging. The music idea is great. Also a staff navigator of 25 years who is 84 said ask her if she knows her address and phone number. She has been discipling for 25 years and said only 2 people could not memorize. I think music , writing it , and using the Navigator computer program is good because the more senses one uses is better. Review ...review ...review is the Key. I believe it can be done by faith. 

Recently I was approached by an elderly lady asking me to disciple her. She informed me she had short term memory loss. After our first meeting she told me she was not able to memorize scripture as her doctor said she couldn't do it. Then she said she was not going to continue...maybe later. I really believe she is stumbling over scripture memory. I told her we could massage it. That makes me very sad. I appreciate the ideas as that is encouraging. The music idea is great. Also a staff navigator of 25 years who is 84 said ask her if she knows her address and phone number. She has been discipling for 25 years and said only 2 people could not memorize that she worked with. I think music , writing it , and using the Navigator computer program is good because the more senses one uses is better. Review ...review ...review is the Key. I believe it can be done by faith. 

Susan, pray specifically about that issue for her and then go back and try it again.  Do you know anyone else her age that might join the two of you.  She might feel less intimidated around another of similar age and stage of life.

Susan Infinger said:

Recently I was approached by an elderly lady asking me to disciple her. She informed me she had short term memory loss. After our first meeting she told me she was not able to memorize scripture as her doctor said she couldn't do it. Then she said she was not going to continue...maybe later. I really believe she is stumbling over scripture memory. I told her we could massage it. That makes me very sad. I appreciate the ideas as that is encouraging. The music idea is great. Also a staff navigator of 25 years who is 84 said ask her if she knows her address and phone number. She has been discipling for 25 years and said only 2 people could not memorize. I think music , writing it , and using the Navigator computer program is good because the more senses one uses is better. Review ...review ...review is the Key. I believe it can be done by faith. 

I too would like some ideas, as my M.S. has left me with cognitive (memory and info processing) deficits.

I use  "MEMORIZE HIS WORD"  the home version software which is a  $19.95 one time fee.  I Tell it to remind me to review a certain amount of verses each day in any version of scripture I am trying to memorize.  I have the whole TMS on it.  This works great for me.  It can be found on the internet.  It also teaches memory methods.

I really understand what you are going through!  I used to memorize 2-3 verses a week when I was younger.  Now I am happy with one every other week.  

But don't give up hope.  If you learn a new word they say it takes 3 times  using it properly in a sentence to get it locked in.  I always pray that when I memorize a verse I will be able to share it to benefit the body of Christ.  He answers that prayer!!  Many times it is over and over a situation comes up where it is totally appropriate to the need.

Another way that really locks in the verse is sheer discipline.  Others have already said it.  Review, review, review.  I am discipling a 24 year old girl, and we have decided that we would share our latest verse when we meet.  Accountability is wonderful.

My father has memorized thousands of verses and always has an appropriate verse for any situation.  It just naturally flows from him and benefits the listener tremendously.  And he is 83 and still memorizing.  Just a little slower pace, but still faithful.

Lastly, what seems obvious can be completely overlooked.  Ask God to help you.  He who is so faithful will do that.

I personally recommend reading the bible on a daily basis,, year by year. The point of
that is for myself is that different verse has the Holy Spirit  speaking to me
and I relate memory verses that way. Remember how
we are taught context, context, context? If you read the
Bible in a year the Word begins to form you and shape
You just like the potter does with clay. Peace
I personally recommend reading the bible on a daily basis,, year by year. The point of
that is for myself is that different verse has the Holy Spirit  speaking to me
and I relate memory verses that way. Remember how
we are taught context, context, context? If you read the
Bible in a year the Word begins to form you and shape
You just like the potter does with clay. Peace

I'm 62 and still memorizing. For me, it's still a matter of just doing it, repeating/reviewing as many time as it takes. To paraphrase one of my favorite pastors, if it takes 100 repetitions to remember what used to take 30 repetitions, it's still time well spent. I'm memorizing Philippians right now, halfway through chapter 2. A couple of years ago I memorized the first 5 chapters of Romans. It doesn't take time out of my day--it just takes the discipline of using my time when walking, driving, riding the bus, etc. I always have 3x5 cards in my pocket.

I struggle with short-term memory.  But with review of verses, ie over and over, it enters my long term memory.  Accountablility Review with friends helps immensely.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 9:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 1:30pm — 15 Comments

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God