The #ReimagineFORUM @ Discipleship.Network

Equipping Your Reimagine Journey

I have recently finished this book and it deserves a real in depth look at what Jesus has told us and how the American Christian life measures up to it. The author, David Platt is a pastor of a growing church in Birmingham, Alabama who stopped to realize where he is going in the light of what Jesus' Words were for His church.

It is definitely a wake-up call for all of us - it is on the New York Times best seller list.  David tells the dramatic story of what is happening as a 'successful' urban church decides to get serious about the gospel according to Jesus.

I highly recommend and challenge  all who believe in Jesus to read this book !

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The following is a handout of what I gave the leaders of the church I pastor. It will take about two years to complete. There are men we have started meeting with in the last two months and some of them are now meeting with men.  Those men have responded by saying we need this and how can we build a church if we do not lay the foundation of strong godly leadership.

It will require about 4 to 7 hours per week of their time plus be in the discussion group that will be 1-1/2 hours each week. People will find time for what they see as important.

When I spoke with one of the leaders he mentioned that is a lot of time and he doubted that many would come forward. He was shocked when he saw how many wanted this.

Leadership Training Plan

Youcannot teach what you do not possess.

We want to have prepared leaders for success in the ministry God has for them.

Leaders are to be proven men of God who have been tested and found trustworthy. That happens through ministry in both the practical and theological. Leadership training takes time and practice. We want to train men both theologically and practically.

The plan is to train men who are Faithful, Teachable,and Available (Future Teachers of America). They must be men who show promise in the basic essentials, in that they want to learn and grow in both the theological and practical aspects of their lives and ministry. Too many men have been ruined and ruined churches by not being prepared and tested in these two areas. We must begin now, if we expect to train people without them wandering around with a lack of direction and haphazardness.

Before giving anyone a ministry where they are the leader we must train them for godliness and success.

Through Studies

·        Doctrine Studies

·        Interpreting Scripture

·        Survey of OT

·        Survey of NT

·        Character Training

Through Small Groups

·        Provide theological and practical training through mentoring by the small group leader

Through Personal Discipleship

·        Dealing with personal issues and hindrances to growth.

·        Teaching God's plan for the person and church.

·        How to reach people in any situation they are placed.

·        Teach how Jesus reached people.

·        Teach the How To's

o   Read the Bible

o   Prayer

o   Fellowship

o   Obedience

o   Focusing on Christ

o   Evangelism

Through The Body

·        Worship

·        Corporate Prayer

·        Corporate Fellowship

·        The exercise of gifts in the body

·        Listening to the sermon

·        Serving the body

·        How to lead the body

·        Communion

·        Teaching and preaching in the body

Gerald,

This sounds like a great plan for reaching and encouraging needing people  - sounds like it needs much prayer and leading of the Holy Spirit. God Bless you and the church you pastor.

NavPress/StudentLife  (LifeBibleStudy) have joined together to provide a teaching plan for David's book to be used with small groups, special studies, and even in Sunday morning Bible studies. It is biblically-based and discussion-oriented. If interested, you can order it from: http://www.lifebiblestudy.com/radical.

Margie Williamson

Community Manager

Margie Williamson said:

NavPress/StudentLife  (LifeBibleStudy) have joined together to provide a teaching plan for David's book to be used with small groups, special studies, and even in Sunday morning Bible studies. It is biblically-based and discussion-oriented. If interested, you can order it from: http://www.lifebiblestudy.com/radical.

Margie Williamson

Community Manager

Alan Satorius said: Thanks Margie, I have already started it. Good bless.

Margie Williamson said:

Margie Williamson

Community Manager

Am I to assume that you are now living in a 400 sq. ft. home?  If so, how are you incorporating the tenets of the gospel?

Gerald Polmateer said:
While what the author writes seems great, the problem is that the he still lives in the U.S. where it costs much more to live. Try living in a home of 400 square feet.
No. I am not sure what your point is. The gospel is not contained in houses and land.
Just seemed as though you were down playing the points from his book because he isn't living in a 400 sq. ft. home.  I understand that the gospel is not contained in houses or land.  Just assumed from your earlier comment that your situation was different.

Gerald Polmateer said:
No. I am not sure what your point is. The gospel is not contained in houses and land.
My point was that we live in America and our standard of living is so much higher than many other countries. In fact you could not build a 400 sq, ft. house in America and live in it. To live at the same level as some do in other countries would not be possible. 

Bill Cole said:
Just seemed as though you were down playing the points from his book because he isn't living in a 400 sq. ft. home.  I understand that the gospel is not contained in houses or land.  Just assumed from your earlier comment that your situation was different.

Gerald Polmateer said:
Thanks for the clarification. 

Gerald Polmateer said:
My point was that we live in America and our standard of living is so much higher than many other countries. In fact you could not build a 400 sq, ft. house in America and live in it. To live at the same level as some do in other countries would not be possible. 

Bill Cole said:

Gerald Polmateer said:
Great discussion, very insightful. Sorry that I'm only just reading through all the input.
This book, along with "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan and "Not A Fan" by Kyle Idleman give a very well rounded picture of following Jesus with everything we have.  Our culture, )while different than that of those in the third world countries and in the countries where the church is persecuted), does not give us an excuse to not take a good hard look at what Jesus said and what is taught by the Holy Spirit in the gospels and epistles.  The church must give of herself, her time, her resources, her love, her compassion and her healing.  We have programs and technology, but we are lacking a real move of the Spirit.  We need revival.  I thank God for these men and the books that they have written, while not neccesarily agreeing with everything that they say, they shine a light on some much needed areas where the church in the USA is lacking. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 10:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 2:30pm — 16 Comments

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God