The #ReimagineFORUM @ Discipleship.Network

Equipping Your Reimagine Journey

One of God's gracious blessings to me late in 2015 was that the Mission America Coalition leadership team entrusted me with the responsibility to coordinate & facilitate the Disciple Making affinity sphere for MAC's "Love2020" initiative.

As a steward of this privilege & responsibility, I need YOUR advice.

Here's why: Our "Disciple Making Sphere" networkers (DMS) will convene in Long Beach, CA as part of the larger MAC Leadership Consultation (Feb 16-18). When our DMS group meets, I'll ask them 3 key questions.

What do YOU recommend that those 3 questions should be?

One possibility: "What matters most in disciple making?"

BTW, do YOU want to interact with us in person at the Consultation? Who knows what God may do in and through those DMS networkers--and through your ministry alongside others in that group? You may register via www.MissionAmerica.org.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Gary, for joining this conversation and adding 3 worthy questions to consider asking our DMS group in Long Beach.
And thanks, Jay, for your encouraging response to our initial roundup of questions.
When our questions have peaked, I'll try to consolidate them and re-submit the results to all of you for your vote on which questions you recommend as the "final 3" for February's DMS group to tackle.
Isn't this a super setting for joyful & fruitful team thoughtfulness?
I am in the Atlanta metro area, in Decatur, GA.
Skip Garmo said:
Thoughtful input, Don, Janice, and Jay!
Rephrasing--correct me if needed--I see 3 core questions so far:
• How does Christ want a Christlike disciple to act & react in today's world?
• What are best practices for equipping disciples in prayer?
• What are best practices for equipping disciples to build healthy relationships that develop into 2 Timothy 2:2 disciple making?
BTW, in which state/province are you each living? Part of the fun of this growing dialogue is seeing interacts from where. :)
Thanx for your reply, Janice. I'm in southern California. Sounds like our discussion participants so far hail from southern USA. I'm eager to see input from the NE, MW, & NW USA--and beyond!

Key question 1) Since Jesus is our model of and for discipleship and ministry, how does what mainstream Christianity label as discipleship and ministry express what Jesus modeled in regard to discipleship and ministry?

Key question 2) Since Jesus is our model of and for discipleship and ministry, what would be a simplistic means of getting back to what Jesus modeled as discipleship and ministry?

Key question 3 has two parts) Who is it you are discipling and ministering to that reveals what Jesus modeled as discipleship and ministry? As a member of the Mission America Coalition (MAC) leadership team, what are you doing in regard to discipleship that follows what Jesus modeled so we who are not on the MAC leadership team can "come and see" how discipleship is done?

Good questions, Dave; thank you for entering this dialogical search for "right questions" to ask the DMS group next month. Your first 2 Qs make an intriguing assumption that deserves exploration.

Your 3rd Q seems in both parts to be directed to me personally, so I'll risk a nameless & brief reply in this discussion:

(A) Christlikeness is a key outcome we pray for and work toward in the ministry I serve, so it is a frequent topic in my peer-to-peer relationships with colleagues on our board and senior management team; it is also vital in my mentoring; and it's usually a key theme in my speaking, teaching, & writing.

(B) I'm not a MAC-leader; I'm a MAC-servant. The leadership consultation in February is open to evangelical leaders--whether vocational or volunteer (i.e., "lay leaders")--who, like you and me, are involved in ministries, churches, denominations, and/or "the workplace" Those led to pray, care, & share in this February initiative--see next paragraph for specifics--should register via www.MissionAmerica.org.

Our Disciple Making Sphere (DMS) will be a working group. We pray that hearts & heads will join before God as peers to identify key issues, next steps, and strategic partnerships that help develop hundreds of thousands of reproducing disciples across our desperately needy nation. We will work together to "make" disciples who pray, care, and share God's deep love with others through the light of their lives (Matthew 5:16). My MAC-servant role is to coordinate & enable that to happen, by God's grace. Your prayers are welcome.

Dave Nickerson said:

Key question 1) Since Jesus is our model of and for discipleship and ministry, how does what mainstream Christianity label as discipleship and ministry express what Jesus modeled in regard to discipleship and ministry?

Key question 2) Since Jesus is our model of and for discipleship and ministry, what would be a simplistic means of getting back to what Jesus modeled as discipleship and ministry?

Key question 3 has two parts) Who is it you are discipling and ministering to that reveals what Jesus modeled as discipleship and ministry? As a member of the Mission America Coalition (MAC) leadership team, what are you doing in regard to discipleship that follows what Jesus modeled so we who are not on the MAC leadership team can "come and see" how discipleship is done?

Thanks for replying, Skip. I did not mean to put you on the spot for answering that last question, but I thank you for your response. I am glad to know you are discipling within your sphere of influence.

I thought the questions I asked would be brought to members of the MAC leadership team to those attending would be able to "come and see." The response you gave is what I'd like to hear from the MAC team who is encouraging me to "come and see" and talk about discipleship within America, or even improving such.

Skip Garmo said:

Your 3rd Q seems in both parts to be directed to me personally, so I'll risk a nameless & brief reply in this discussion:

(A) Christlikeness is a key outcome we pray for and work toward in the ministry I serve, so it is a frequent topic in my peer-to-peer relationships with colleagues on our board and senior management team; it is also vital in my mentoring; and it's usually a key theme in my speaking, teaching, & writing.

(B) I'm not a MAC-leader; I'm a MAC-servant. The leadership consultation in February is open to evangelical leaders--whether vocational or volunteer (i.e., "lay leaders")--who, like you and me, are involved in ministries, churches, denominations, and/or "the workplace" Those led to pray, care, & share in this February initiative--see next paragraph for specifics--should register via www.MissionAmerica.org.

Our Disciple Making Sphere (DMS) will be a working group. We pray that hearts & heads will join before God as peers to identify key issues, next steps, and strategic partnerships that help develop hundreds of thousands of reproducing disciples across our desperately needy nation. We will work together to "make" disciples who pray, care, and share God's deep love with others through the light of their lives (Matthew 5:16). My MAC-servant role is to coordinate & enable that to happen, by God's grace. Your prayers are welcome.

I appreciate your clarification, Dave -- my bad for not thinking of that 3rd Q as going to whomever comes to the MAC leadership consultation. It's a worthy "accountability" question for the group, given the recent Nav/Barna report on discipleship that concludes most American Christians are more "talk" than "walk" in this area of their spiritual journey. . . .

ALERT: Tomorrow evening (Tue Feb 16) marks the start of the Mission America Coalition Leadership Consultation in Long Beach CA. That means that today I need to finalize the 3 core questions that you--contributors to this discussion--recommend that I ask those at the consultation who interact in our Disciple Making Sphere.

Here's what we have so far, consolidated or re-phrased for brevity:

• What matters most in disciple making?
  • How does Christ want a Christlike disciple to act & react in today's world?
  • What are best practices for equipping disciples in prayer?
  • What are best practices for equipping disciples to build healthy relationships that develop into 2 Timothy 2:2 disciple making relationships?
  • (a) How do common discipleship practices today differ from Christ's discipling model, (b) what steps should disciplers take to get back in step with Jesus' model of discipling, and (c) how are DMS participants (at the Feb MAC meetings) demonstrating Jesus' model of discipling?

I invite each of you who read this update today to vote your top 3 of these 5 questions. You have a vote; use it!

For His honor and pleasure in and through us,

Skip

I believe the fifth multiple part question could be combined with the second question, so I pick that as one. Then I would pick the following two questions about prayer and healthy relationships. The first question is good, but it does not seem specific enough, IMO.
Blessings over the conference, and traveling mercies to all who plan to attend.
Thank you very much for your votes, Janice. :)
While it is true that #2 and #5 have concepts in common, they also have noteworthy distinctions: #2 is about a disciple's behavior and #5 is about a discipler's process.
Taken together or separately, they are certainly worth our attention, eh?!

Skip,

Definitely 2 and 5 with 3 being my third choice with a little re-wording: "What are best practices for equipping disciples in prayer" while introducing them to depending on a daily, on-going, desperate prayer life.

God bless you and your ministry,

Jay

I've noted how you voted, Jay -- Thanks much for your timely reply.

For others viewing this discussion, our DMS group meets Wednesday afternoon, so you  still have time today to vote. (On Wednesday, my www time will range from little to zero because of meetings.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Wisdom

Posted by Mary Elizabeth Whitlow on October 10, 2011 at 9:49pm — 1 Comment

Peter Pan and Adam Sandler Christians

Posted by Michael Mack on November 24, 2010 at 9:27pm — 7 Comments

Equip them into the PRAYER-CARE-SHARE LIFE

Disciples of Jesus

Who Make disciples