The #ReimagineFORUM @ Discipleship.Network

Equipping Your Reimagine Journey

The #ReimagineFORUM Coaching Session with Jim Morgan

Jim Morgan is an innovative thought  leader (check his blog) who shares insights on on the confluence of compassion, evangelism, and disciple-making.

WHY?

• Why is it important for Christian leaders to begin a journey of rethinking ministry in your focus-area? 

Jesus’ model for evangelism is prayer, care, then share.  However, the model for today’s church is invite, involve and invest – with pastors assuming all evangelism responsibilities.  Our churches no longer focus on challenging churchgoers to become disciples but on attracting and retaining congregants.

• Why will a "reimagine journey" be difficult and potentially dangerous to the status quo?

Asking “successful” churches to scrap their internally-focused model risks losing members to the churches down the road that still cater to the needs of “customers”.

WHEN?

• Agree/Disagree ~ We live in an extraordinary world:  Globalization. Immigration. #BlackLivesMatter. Gender reclassification. Marriage Redefined.. #MeToo. The rise of White Supremacy. Terrorism. Unpredictable Weather. The impact of the Industrial Revolution gives way to the Technological Age.  . . . This a time of epic change that requires the Church to rethink how we apply biblical truth to the traditions-programs-models-systems that format everything we do.

Disagree, the Gospel isn’t complicated not does it need to be reshaped to fit the nuances of modern society.  We’re overthinking and diluting the Gospel message as we try to conform it to the modern (secular, self-obsessed) context.  People either believe in the existence of sin and need for repentance, or they don’t – it’s that simple.  Since our society does not, that’s the fundamental disconnect between the Christian world view and secular world view.  Jesus, Peter, Paul and John the Baptist all came out of the gates preaching repentance but pastors and evangelists today are afraid to talk about sin because it’s not socially acceptable in our day and age. 

• How does your ministry help Christian leaders equip those they serve to begin the reimagine journey?

My Blog + Technology to enable churches and ministries to unite and mobilize, bringing help and hope to struggling families.

√ these (and other) posts from Jim's blog:

√ for Free Bulletin from The #ReimagineFORUM

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NOTE:  I am a non-paid, non-pastoral lay person

Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)

"Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

I must have fallen asleep during service.  I don't remember any Biblical Call to attract and retain congregants.  If, in fact, "Our churches no longer focus on challenging churchgoers to become disciples but on attracting and retaining congregants," we better "Re-assess" if our churches are doing God's Will.

Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV)

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

As I read the Bible, I note throughout. the status of Christ's financial success in this world.  Therefore, "Asking 'successful' churches to scrap their internally-focused model [risking] losing members to the churches down the road that still cater to the needs of 'customers'," seems only to be following Christ's Example.  And, there have been occasions of "revered moths or worse" in a few "successful" churches.

John 11:25-26 (NIV)

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

"...the Gospel isn’t complicated..."

Then why does being a member of a church make it so difficult to be a Christian?

In addition to considering "Jesus’ model for evangelism," we should also look at Paul's model as well as the other models in the post-gospels. Some things to consider:

1) We read that Paul, after spending several days with the disciples in Damascus, began to proclaim in the synagogues in Damascus that Jesus is the Son of God (Acts 9:20). And then did the same in Jerusalem and associated with the disciples there. But this was Paul - one who knew more about the Messiah than any of us likely know.

2) He then was a teacher/prophet/deacon in the church at Damascus for at least a year.

3) He and Barnabas were sent by the local church in Damascus, in response to direction from the Holy Spirit, to evangelize and disciple others. 

4) We should look at how Paul and his companions worked. They typically started by going to a synagogue. If the message wasn't received there, it seems he went looking for others who were involved in some religious activities.

5) We know that God has gifted some to be evangelists. How does that factor in?

So there may be more models in the New Testament to consider before we rethink evangelism and discipleship.

Thank you Scott for this reimagined thinking.

Phil

Scott R. Peterson said:

In addition to considering "Jesus’ model for evangelism," we should also look at Paul's model as well as the other models in the post-gospels. Some things to consider:

1) We read that Paul, after spending several days with the disciples in Damascus, began to proclaim in the synagogues in Damascus that Jesus is the Son of God (Acts 9:20). And then did the same in Jerusalem and associated with the disciples there. But this was Paul - one who knew more about the Messiah than any of us likely know.

2) He then was a teacher/prophet/deacon in the church at Damascus for at least a year.

3) He and Barnabas were sent by the local church in Damascus, in response to direction from the Holy Spirit, to evangelize and disciple others. 

4) We should look at how Paul and his companions worked. They typically started by going to a synagogue. If the message wasn't received there, it seems he went looking for others who were involved in some religious activities.

5) We know that God has gifted some to be evangelists. How does that factor in?

So there may be more models in the New Testament to consider before we rethink evangelism and discipleship.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Blog Posts

Count Your Blessings Daily

Posted by Margie Williamson on November 3, 2011 at 10:33am — 39 Comments

Understanding Discipleship

Posted by Margie Williamson on October 23, 2010 at 2:30pm — 16 Comments

Make disciples

Who Make Disciples

Who Love God